Friday 1 March 2013

MUA Lipsticks

Today I'm going to be discussing the MUA lipsticks I own. MUA is a reasonably priced brand with all the lipsticks only costing me £1 each. You can find them available in Superdrug stores or the MUA website itself. One of the pros to these lipsticks is that the bottom of the container comes off to reveal a hidden lip gloss which is cute. 



I'm not entirely sure how I feel about these lipsticks as although they are very pigmented, there's a lot of colour choice and they are only £1 each they do have their pros but I just don't like the texture when they are on my lips. That could be personal opinion but I find they are somehow too creamy and slide around my lips too much. Also, when I'm applying them they don't feel very secure, like they are about to snap any moment. All this being said, for £1 they are worth a try and they're not the worst quality I've ever tried so if you're unsure if a shade would suit you and would like to try it out you could buy one of these to test for a few days and see how you feel without it damaging your wallet too much. I actually wish the shades were a little more matte or that a variety of finishes were available as I don't always like my colours to have a sheen to them, so this is a downside for me.

I own 10 of these lipsticks so I'll be discussing them in chronological order as most of the shades are only known as numbers. I can't really compare quality and texture between them as it is literally the same for most of them, but I will give you a review on the colours. I will post a swatch at the end of the post showing them all next to each other so as you can see the difference in the shades easier.

First I'll talk about Shade 1:





This shade is kind of in between a red and a fuchsia colour. As you can see it does have a lot of pigment in it so creates a bold lip but it probably would need re-applying an awful lot.

Shade 2:




This shade is kind of a deep raspberry pink with a blue tint to it. As I said with shade number one it is very pigmented and you don't need to apply a lot to get a strong colour from it, however it would need reapplying.

Shade 7 is the next colour I own and looks like this:




Okay so this shade has a pink coral tone to it and looks lovely when worn. It actually looks more peach than pink in the picture and when swatched in person but it really is more of a pink colour on your lips, like a paler version of shade 2.

Shade 8:




This one is definitely more of a red, if not the perfect red itself. It has a kind of gold sheen running through it that can't be seen on the picture and it looks almost glittery. It really is a lovely colour but as it is such a bold colour this one needed re-applying an awful lot I found because these lipsticks do come off very easily.

Shade 9:



This shade come out almost a bronze/brown colour however there is pink in there so when worn on the lips it doesn't look as brown as it seems. It is quite a nice neutral colour that could be worn with most things.

Shade 10:




I do hate to give anything a bad review as I'd love every product to be amazing but shade number 10 is a total disaster for me. As you can see from the very messy swatch, it is not like the others for some reason. I may have received a faulty one but I felt like I had no control of the lipstick as it is too slippery and it literally went everywhere. So colour and finish aside, purely based on quality I do not rate this shade. That being said maybe if you see one in Superdrug or order it yourself it may be different and I may have just been unlucky in receiving a faulty one.

Shade 11:




Again a neutral shade with an orange/coral kind of appearance to it. It may look like a strong colour but when applied to my lips it actually wasn't too dissimilar from their natural colour so just gave a tiny hint of colour which I liked very much.

Shade 12:

 

 

This colour looks very bright against my hand but when worn it is actually just a sheer pink stain effect. There is definitely silver glitter in this lipstick but it provides a lovely effect when worn. Definitely one of my favourites out of the MUA lipsticks as the texture is not too bad either.

Shade 14 (this one has a name which is Bare):




Although this shade is called Bare, I actually found it to be quite a bright pink coral colour when worn. Because it is quite bright it may not be to the taste of everyone but it is actually a very pretty colour so for £1 I would buy it and try it.

Finally, shade 16 which is called Nectar:




This colour looks lovely when swatched on my hand but I found it way too bright for my liking. It's kind of a bright, sickly sweet Barbie pink colour. It doesn't suit my complexion at all and showed every imperfection on my lips so they would need heavily priming before I considering wearing it out. Even after that I think the upkeep through the day/night would be difficult as I mentioned these lipsticks do come off very easily. So out of personal preference it's not for me, but it could be perfect for someone else.

To conclude this post I've taken swatches of them all next to each other in chronological order to make it easy to distinguish which is which:



I hope this helped if anyone is considering buying any MUA products or is wondering what they are like. I think they are perfect to experiment with colours as they are so cheap so you don't feel like you've wasted too much of your money.

I'll be reviewing a similar brand of lipsticks called NYC tomorrow and they are in the same price range as these so be sure to check that out. I also have a large order of Illamasqua coming in the next week so I'll blog about that as soon as it arrives :).

Amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment